Striped Toe Socks

Friday, January 22, 2010

Test Anxiety

I'm 12wks today, yay! I'm slowly starting to feel less sick, which is a huge relief, no matter how grateful I am that my hormones are working right.

On Monday I have my first trimester screening test. It involves an ultrasound and blood work. It will give us our chances of having a baby with Downs and will also give indications of other congenital problems. I'm nervous as hell. There is a relatively high false positive rate, 5% will get a positive and 5% of that group will actually have a child with a problem. We almost canceled it this week. Considering the increased risk of miscarriage with more invasive testing this will be as far as we go, beyond more ultrasounds. We wouldn't terminate for Downs, so we will just kind of be stuck with the results we get. I think it's my shaky confidence that it will tell us everything is fine that is keeping me going.

I spent so much time worrying that I would miscarry that I didn't have room to worry about anything else.

We are also debating finding out the sex. I really want to know. J was indifferent at first, but now thinks he doesn't want to find out. Considering my inability to keep my mouth shut about any kind of surprise, we have to come to some conclusion.

Opinions?
posted by Ginny at 11:36 AM

1 Comments:

A friend just told me of an interesting way to find out the sex of the baby. When the ultrasound person finds out have them write it inside a card that then get's sealed in an envelope. Give that envelope to a friend who bakes a cake. Prior to baking the cake, they dye the cake pink for a girl and blue for a boy. So, you don't know what your having till you cut into the cake. I thought it was an interesting idea and wanted to pass it along.

January 23, 2010 at 7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home