Striped Toe Socks

Sunday, November 2, 2008

As the Heel Turns

One of the first things I wanted to make when I learned how to knit was socks. J was excited that his, otherwise uncrafty wife, could furnish him with a wardrobe of the thick, warm, strong socks his tired, work on them all day, feet yearned for. I looked loningly at sock patterns, eventually learned to use the confusing DPN's and thought socks might be in my future. I then discovered Magic Loop, making the whole process much more appealing to me. I got a book all about how to knit socks with the magic loop. I found this book to be lacking in clear cut directions. I also founf myself lacking in good "practice" sock yarn. I was painfully using too small needles for my practice sock. My heel was all wrong and I was completely confused. It is at this point I pushed the idea of socks aside and focused on other knitting. I no longer cared what cute socks my friends made. I ignored sock patterns on Knitty and Ravelry. Then Lisa needed my help. My feet are the same short, but wide size 7's as her Mom's. She finihsed a sock and asked me to try it on to make sure it would fit. Behold! It fit and I didn't want to take it off. Something shifted in me. I needed to make socks for myself, for J even, though not a whole wardrobe.

I found the sock yarn I had bought months before, a silky yellow wool. I had begun the ribbing, but had put it aside. I looked at tutorials and found a few that were helpful. I talked to Emily and Lisa about the heel, my most feared sock part, and decided a short row heel sounded doable. And it was. I can't claim a complete sock and I am no where near two, but I do have an almost finished sock that I feel is just a beginning.
posted by Ginny at 4:44 PM

1 Comments:

From what I saw your sock is just lovely. Personally I like toe up better than cuff down. At least so far.

November 2, 2008 at 10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home