Striped Toe Socks

Friday, November 14, 2008

A Cozy Kind of Day


Today was one of those days that seemed chilly when in fact it really wasn't. None the less I showered and put my jammies bottoms and sweater on and settled in for a day of housework and paper writing. The paper took so much longer than I thought it would. I only got a third of it done. I have to read journal articles, summarize them and then answer some questions. This sounded so easy, but I didn't think about the fact that these are written by scientists and doctors for others of their kind.

Last night I made a yummy Italain stew and I thought you'all might enjoy the recipe. Chris it's a meat free dish.


Italian Tortellini Stew
9 cups



1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 rib celery, finely chopped (omitted due to my hatred of it)
1 onion, chopped
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
1 (15.5-ounce) can Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 (32-ounce) container ready-to-serve chicken broth (Iused more like 40 oz)
2 tablespoons dried basil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1 (8-ounce) package dried cheese-filled tortellini
I also added garlic


  1. In a soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add carrot, celery, and onion, and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  2. Stir in tomatoes, beans, chicken broth, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 30 minutes.
  3. Add zucchini and tortellini then bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, or until tortellini are tender.



I've been moving right along on the Shalom. I finished the yoke tonight, so know it's time to move into the mindless body. I don't mind this kind of knitting, it allows my thoughts to travel elsewhere.

Tomorrow a return trip to Troy, since D was jealous that we had so much fun without her last week. Can I leave town without buying yarn?

Sam-if we didn't already have a car full I'd stop and pick you up. I promise to drink something hot and yummy for you.
posted by Ginny at 9:30 PM

2 Comments:

Oh, that stew looks yummy! I'm definitely going to use some veggie broth and make that - it's perfect for this drab weather!

I can't wait to see your Shalom! I love love love that sweater and I think it'll look so cute on you!

November 15, 2008 at 11:50 AM  

Let me know if want help with the paper. It's always easier to help with someone else's paper than write one's own.

November 15, 2008 at 1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home