Striped Toe Socks

Friday, August 7, 2009

What Are You Reading?

I've been finally out of my reading (and knitting) slump. Despite all the stress lately having the normal things I love back in my life have really helped.

Here are some books I've been reading

Prayers For Sale, this takes place during the Depression, a time period I find fascinating, those people had some balls and smarts to get through that. It's about an old woman and a young woman who become friends over their love for quilting. Great story telling.

The Guernsey Lieray and Potato Peel Pie Society, Emily and I discovered this at the same and she loaned me her copy. I want to buy my own at some point so I can reread it. I was hesitant to read it because it's written in letter form and I was afraid it would be difficult to become attached to the charactors that way, I was wrong.

Blindsighted, I am reluctant to include this book in a list of recommendations, but here it is. This book is about the search for a violent serial rapist, there are details of the violence, it's gut wrenching. The charactors are flawed and fascinating. This is the first in a series, I haven't geared myself up to read the next one, but I'm still thinking about the people and that's good writing to me.

Outlander, a repeat reading of the series before the next one comes out in September. Time travel, sex, romance, violence, rape, history, love, pissing matches, it's got it all.

How about you?
posted by Ginny at 10:13 PM

3 Comments:

I discovered the guernsey literary and potato peel pie society last november during our bookfair, but like you was hesitant about the letters... I am almost done with the book now, and think it's great!

August 8, 2009 at 6:41 AM  

I'm going to have to remember Prayers for Sale - that sounds great! I'm reading Empire Falls by Richard Russo right now and it's really good. I just googled it and apparently it was made into a TV movie/show in 2005? I had no idea. might have to put that in my blockbuster queue.

August 8, 2009 at 12:11 PM  

I'm really looking forward to the Guernsey Literary, ironically, a clipped a review for it from the paper about 9 months ago, thinking Girls Club might enjoy it. I love your idea of starting a book club, I miss mine at the Pasadena Library. And can't wait until we see "The Time Traveler's Wife"!

August 13, 2009 at 1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home